Monday, September 26, 2005

26 September 2005 - Modest Monday

Mondays are tasting days in the store. Distributor and/or importer reps bring in wine for me to taste -- I taste, take notes and decide which wines make the cut, which ones don't, which ones I want immediately, which ones I'll add later. This is an "off" Monday -- meaning fewer reps, fewer wines to taste.

Joe Dressner (Louis/Dressner Selections) was in -- always entertaining and enlightening -- one of my favorite importers. Not surprisingly, his wines were the strongest group of the day, especially the '04 Bourgueil "Trinch!" from Breton -- pure, solid and lively.

The other winner of the day was the latest bubbly from Gruet, in New Mexico. Their Blanc de Noirs has been America's best sparkling wine value for years -- now it's #2, after this amazing 100% Pinot Noir Rose Brut.

After Dressner's wines and the Gruet, slim pickings -- more musty reds from Chile and South Africa...when I taste really bad stuff these days, I write either "no" or nothing at all. Lots of "no"s today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home