Friday, January 14, 2005

14 January 2005 - Another "new" grape variety...

Fer, or Fer-Servadou. Grown in southwest France, Fer has been used in blend with other grapes, especially Tannat, in relatively known places like Madiran and Gaillac. I just tasted a 100% Fer from the village of Marcillac (Laurens, 2002), situated roughly between Madiran and Cahors. As of 1979, according to Jancis Robinson in Vines, Grapes and Wines (Mitchell Beazley, 1986), Fer plantings were down to about 750 hectares. Based on this one wine, I'm glad it hasn't disappeared. Very dark sort of purple/garnet color, intensely meaty/herbal smells, yet surprisngly gentle, if intense, flavors. The taste was expected, the texture, shocking -- so soft and silky!

The salesman knew I would buy this -- I can't resist something new and unusual. It's a big reason why I still love this business. After 26-27 years, still learning something new every day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home